Did you ever wonder what the most popular month is to list a home for sale in our area? In 2018 & 2019 MAY was the most popular month however in 2015, 2016 & 2017 JUNE was most popular according to information for our tri-county region (Clinton-Eaton-Ingham Counties) from the Greater Lansing Association of Realtors.
Why is May/June so popular? The most likely reasons are:
- Weather – people can get their homes “fixed up to sell” in spring
- Best time to move, weather-wise – listing your home in June could mean closing and moving in August or September, while our Mid-Michigan weather is still good
- Schools out – For families with school-age children, most schools begin their summer breaks in June making this a great time to sell and move before the next school year begins
It’s interesting to note that the MOST POPULAR MONTH CHANGED FROM JUNE TO MAY for the last two years. With more people wanted to “beat the rush” and gain a competitive advantage this isn’t surprising.
- If you’re thinking of selling, GET READY. Although homes sell every month of the year PRIME SEASON is right around the corner. We continue to be in a Seller’s Market so make sure to work with an experienced Realtor who can get you the most for your home.
- If you are a Buyer, this may be the time of year when you have your largest selection of homes to choose from. This is also a VERY competitive time of year so be sure to work with an agent experienced in winning in competitive bid situations.
If you are thinking about Buying or Selling soon, give me a call at (517) 927-5156 and let’s come up with a strategy that works for you!